(11 Feb 1766 - 3 Sep 1854)
Henry Fourdrinier - Patent 2951
24 July 1806
“The method of making a machine for manufacturing paper of an indefinite length, laid and wove, with separated moulds.” This invention consists, first, in placing the moulds end to end “successively in contact, so as to form one long mould, upon which paper can and may be made in like manner as if the whole length or series had consisted of one single mould.” The ends of the frames are made thin, and the office of the “deckle” may be performed by means of a bar attached by hinges to the side of the frames.
Secondly, consists of a platform to place the moulds upon, having side-rails or guides, or a series of parallel rollers with flanges, to allow of the moulds moving to and fro, but not sideways. To the platform is given a horizontal movement, in any desired direction, by suitable mechanical means.
Thirdly, consists in placing over the platform a vessel containing the paper stuff so as to allow “the moulds to be successively introduced in their places upon the platform.” The vessel is supplied with an agitator, with holes to regulate the flow, and with a trough to convey the stuff.
Fourthly consists in placing two revolving cylinders at the far end of the series of moulds, around which is passed an endless web of felting in the manner of a jack towel, for the purpose of taking off the paper from the moulds in one continuous sheet. As the moulds advance towards the first cylinder, which may be effected by any suitable mechanical means, fresh moulds are introduced at the other end of the platform and filled with stuff. The paper proceeding forward with the endless web is caused to pass between pressing rollers.
“Note.—2950, 2951, a Specification is enrolled in the Petty Bag, in pursuance of an Act of Parliament extending to fifteen years, from August 14, 1807, the term of certain Letters Patent, Nos. 2487 and 2708), assigned to H. and S. Fourdrinier and J. Gamble.”]
- 11 Feb - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of Fourdrinier's birth.
- The Fourdrinier Paper-Making Machine - from Paper Manufacturing in the United States (1916).
- The Fourdrinier Paper-Making Machine - from Paper & Paper Making Ancient and Modern (1863).
- Fourdrinier Patent 2950 (1806) - A machine for cutting paper on a different principle from any hitherto used.
- Fourdrinier Patent 3068 (1807) - Making paper by means of machinery.
- Henry Fourdrinier Biography - from Dictionary of National Biography (1889).
- Henry Fourdrinier Obituary from Gentleman's Magazine (1855).
- 24 Jul - events for date of patent on Paper-Making Machine.