(8 Nov 1848 - 26 Jul 1925)
“The aim of scientific work is truth”
Illustrated Quote - Medium (500 x 250 px)
To give this quote by Gottlob Frege some context, an insight how he viewed the relationship between logic, truth, and science is expressed by Tyler Burge:1
“Frege saw logic as a scientific language expressing knowledge of a subject matter, in this respect like any other science. He regarded its meaning or content as just as substantive as that of any other scientific language. He took its truths to be just as dependent on relation to a subject matter as the truths of any other science. In fact, he saw logic as the most general science of ‘being.’ … I believe that he used this point of view to make fundamental contributions to understanding logical truth and logical consequence.”
- Science Quotes by Gottlob Frege.
- 8 Nov - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of Frege's birth.
- Gottlob Frege - context of quote I compare arithmetic with a tree - Medium image (500 x 250 px)
- Gottlob Frege - context of quote I compare arithmetic with a tree - Large image (800 x 400 px)
- Gottlob Frege - context of quote “The aim of scientific work is truth” - Large image (800 x 400 px)
- The Frege Reader, by Gottlob Frege and Michael Beaney (ed.). - book suggestion.
- Booklist for Gottlob Frege.