(3 Apr 1934 - )
Jane Goodall - “Cruelty is the worst of human sins”
Illustrated Quote - Medium (500 x 350 px)
This is a quote which the Webmaster has not yet traced to its original source. (Can you help?) It was found in a quote collection that included no citation for its origin.
Jane Goodall has written many books and articles, has often been interviewed for print and TV, and has given numerous lectures. This results from her commitment to make the world more aware of the intelligence of chimpanzees, and the plight of the chimpanzee in their disappearing rain forests. She has travelled widely, lecturing and raising funds for the Jane Goodall Institute so it can continue its efforts to assist wild and rescued chimpanzees.
With such a multitude of places that Jane Goodall has written or spoken, tracking down a given quote is daunting. The full quote as originally found is:
The opening statement that “Cruelty is the worst of human sins,” has no doubt been uttered often by Goodall when expressing concern for animal welfare. These seven words appear in a book review by Steve Dale, for the Chicago Tribune in 1994. He reviewed a book coauthored by historian Dale Peterson with Jane Goodall, Visions of Caliban, (1993). Dale interviewed Goodall by telephone at her home in England. After that comment on cruelty, she continued,
The article opened with these remarks by Goodall:
The book gives various chilling examples of cruelty to apes, these close-to-human creatures, whether participants in a circus, biomedical laboratory animals, housed in poor conditions at zoos, or captive in the illicit international trade.
- Science Quotes by Jane Goodall.
- 3 Apr - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of Goodall's birth.
- Video: What Separates Us From Chimpanzees? - Jane Goodall talk (2007, 29 min).
- Jane Goodall - context of quote I want to wander in the wild - Medium image (500 x 350 px)
- Jane Goodall - context of quote I want to wander in the wild - Large image (800 x 600 px)
- Jane Goodall - context of quote Some humans are mathematicians - Medium image (500 x 350 px)
- Jane Goodall - context of quote Some humans are mathematicians - Large image (800 x 600 px)
- Jane Goodall - context of quote Cruelty is the worst of human sins - Large image (800 x 600 px)
- My Life With the Chimpanzees, by Jane Goodall. - book suggestion.