Sir Martin Rees
(23 Jun 1942 - )
Martin Rees - Context of quote “The physicist is like someone who's watching people playing chess”
Illustrated Quote - Medium (500 x 350 px)
This quote by Martin Rees appears in a collection of editted transcripts from a series of programmes broadcast on BBC Radio 3, in which Lewis Wolpert interviewed scientists from diverse fields. Each spoke vividly on their personal view of science, why they became scientists, and the rewards they found in their research. In their conversations, each scientist described their scientific work in a way easily understandable for the general listener.
Martin Rees outlined the activities of a physicist thus:
The physicist is like someone who’s watching people playing chess and, after watching a few games, he may have worked out what the moves in the game are. But understanding the rules is just a trivial preliminary on the long route from being a novice to being a grand master. So even if we understand all the laws of physics, then exploring their consequences in the everyday world where complex structures can exist is a far more daunting task, and that’s an inexhaustible one I'm sure.
- Science Quotes by Sir Martin Rees.
- 23 Jun - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of Rees's birth.
- Video: Earth in its Final Century - Martin Rees talk (2005, 18 min).
- Martin Rees - context of quote The physicist is like someone who's watching people playing chess - Large image (800 x 600 px)
- Martin Rees - context of quote Cosmos laboratory to test new ideas on particle physics - Medium image (500 x 350 px)
- Martin Rees - context of quote Cosmos laboratory to test new ideas on particle physics - Large image (800 x 600 px)
- Our Final Hour: A Scientist's Warning, by Martin Rees. - book suggestion.
- Booklist for Martin Rees.