Sir Martin Rees
(23 Jun 1942 - )
Martin Rees - Context of quote “Cosmos…laboratory…to test new ideas on particle physics”
Illustrated Quote - Large (800 x 600 px)
This quote by Martin Rees is as it appeared, in a possibly editted form, from the transcript of a program broadcast on BBC Radio 3. It was one of a series by Lewis Wolpert interviewing scientists from diverse fields. Each could speak vividly on their personal view of science, why they became scientists, and the rewards they found in their research. In their conversations, each scientist described their scientific work in a way easily understandable for the general listener.
Martin Rees explained how astrophysics research intersected with high-energy particle physics:
It’s becoming clear that in a sense the cosmos provides the only laboratory where sufficiently extreme conditions are ever achieved to test new ideas on particle physics. The energies in the Big Bang were far higher than we can ever achieve on Earth. So by looking at evidence for the Big Bang, and by studying things like neutron stars, we are in effect learning something about fundamental physics.
- Science Quotes by Sir Martin Rees.
- 23 Jun - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of Rees's birth.
- Video: Earth in its Final Century - Martin Rees talk (2005, 18 min).
- Martin Rees - context of quote The physicist is like someone who's watching people playing chess - Medium image (500 x 350 px)
- Martin Rees - context of quote The physicist is like someone who's watching people playing chess - Large image (800 x 600 px)
- Martin Rees - context of quote Cosmos laboratory to test new ideas on particle physics - Medium image (500 x 350 px)
- Our Final Hour: A Scientist's Warning, by Martin Rees. - book suggestion.
- Booklist for Martin Rees.